Thursday, 5 November 2009

Sense of humour FAIL

[context: Board Account Director objects to amusing lookalikes of him in weekly all-staff mailer, but lacks the social skills to articulate said concerns.]

>>>>>>>
On reflection I've decided my sense of humour doesn't stretch as far as you clearly think it does.
No more offensive comparison pics thank you.
Do you understand?
******

>>>>>>>
***
Is it not common courtesy when some asks a question to expect a response?
******

>>>>>>>
Humblest apologies. Yes, I did understand that request, complex though it was.
***

>>>>>>>
Thanks. And whilst I may appear touchy on the subject (I'm usually not) I got laughed at too much for comfort yesterday - it was a little tiresome - so would appreciate my pics coming off current/future versions with immediate effect.

>>>>>>>
Fair enough - do bear in mind that it was ***** who suggested said likenesses. (The same ***** that you compared to 'a potato full of drugs'.)

>>>>>>>
***, my friend, I do not bear you any grudge. I am well aware of the source!
I could bark on about 'hands in fires' etc but I won't. Anyway once was mildly amusing, twice a bit offensive...
Matter closed.

>>>>>>>
I understand your ire, ****** - nobody likes to be lampooned unjustly, and I have removed the offending images. However, it's important to retain a sense of perspective. *********, by its very nature, is irreverent and ridiculous; while it is never my intention to specifically offend, I like to think that the concept as a whole (and the lookalike section in particular) is a conduit for creativity for the agency; every likeness, such as they may or may not be, is suggested from the user end and published unedited as such. It certainly isn't meant to offend and I apologise for any discomfort or awkwardness this has caused, but I suspect that if your colleagues are laughing at you for something so trivial then perhaps this is an HR matter, rather than something to put on my shoulders.

For future reference, I'm always happy to remove material that's causing issues (like I say, it's never my intention to offend), but steaming in with comments like 'Do you understand?' and making ironic use of the concept of 'common courtesy' is frankly a little bit rude - so let's make a deal. I'll exempt you from any mention in future issues unless it's glowingly rosy, and in return you can refrain from chastising me like a naughty schoolboy. Sound good?

Like you say, matter closed.
***

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant final reply...now to find someone in my office I can call a 'potato full of drugs'.

    ReplyDelete